Here is a quick tutorial on how to get started on a strawberry and apple button appliqué like I used to make my strawberry and apple pouches.
Strawberry Button Appliqué Tutorial
- The strawberry and apple appliqué templates which you can find in my Etsy Store
- Lots of different buttons of the same colour. I used different sizes and designs of pink buttons for the strawberry and red ones for the apple.
- Fabric for hull or apple leaf
- Linen for background fabric 7.5” x 7.5”
- Heat and bond or similar fusible
- If doing the apple, you will need embroidery floss for the stalk.
- erasable markers- I use Frixion pens
- thread that is a similar colour to your buttons
- sewing machine
- basic sewing supplies
Strawberry Button Appliqué Instructions
- Cut out your template pieces. Trace around the hull template onto the paper side of a piece of heat and bond and fuse to the wrong side of the hull fabric with a hot iron. Cut around the hull with a pair of sharp scissors. Remove the paper from the back of the hull and then place onto your background fabric and fuse with a hot iron. I used linen for both of my pouches (7.5” x 7.5”) and I have also placed the strawberry on an angle. Appliqué your hull down using a straight stitch, remembering to secure your stitches at the start and finish.
2. Take your strawberry template and place down in line with your appliquéd hull piece and trace around with an erasable marker.
3. Work out a rough arrangement of buttons within your strawberry shape. I like to mix small with large as well as different shades and shapes.
4. Stitch down the buttons into your shape. I like to use a thread colour that matches close to my buttons and tie each one off after I’m done. This is a good idea in case at any point some buttons become loose. You only have to replace one instead of the whole lot. Carefully removed your appliqué line. I use Frixion pens so I remove mine with the very tip of my iron. Being careful not to touch or melt the buttons.
You now have a sweet button appliqué you can use to either make into a pouch like I have or use however you desire.
If you choose to do the apple you need to follow the same process as the strawberry and make sure you appliqué the leaf down first and embroidery your apple stalk before you start adding your buttons.
Any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me.
Happy Sewing, Kellie x.
© Copyright 2021, Ma & Me Designs.